Monday, February 01, 2010

Jack’s Branch in the Spring

Jack's Branch

Jack’s Branch in Spring, © Sydney Harper
Acrylic on painting board, 5 x 7 inches

This is the perfect time of year to drag out some old photos to paint. Throughout the year, I’ll print out photos that I would like to use as a reference and stick them in a notebook. It’s a good resource for those days when I don’t know what I want to paint. This painting is from a photo at the Jack’s Branch rest area along the Natchez Trace Parkway. It was spring when I took this photo and everything was bright and green. It’s a perfect resource to work on when everything is dull and gray like it has been lately.

I painted this very quickly. It’s practically a sketch. It was one of those days where I didn’t have a lot of time to paint but I wanted to complete a painting. Since I exceeded my goal of 40 paintings last year, I decided this year’s goal would be 100 paintings. I have a tendency to get caught up in details when I paint, so this will be good practice for relaxing a bit with my paintings. Now if I can just forget I set this goal like I did last year, I might just exceed it too. Like my paintings, if I think about my goals too much, things start to drag.

4 comments:

Chris said...

Green... ahhhh... I miss green.

Unknown said...

Nice painting.

Jack's Branch is one of my favorite stops on the Trace. The large stone steps leading down to the creek and the picnic area from the parking area are very unique. For more info, pictures and a map about Jack's Branch you can see: NatchezTraceTravel.com

Sydney Harper said...

Thanks for the link, Randy. I keep thinking that one day I'll drive up to Jack's Branch for a picnic. Maybe this year I'll actually do it. :)

Betsy Grant said...

I love your colors...in the cat painting as well. Nice work. Please visit me at my blogsite for artists/musicians/creative people and leave your ocmments and insights. I write it with people like you in mind.